Join our Mailing List
New Jersey Tamil Sangam (NJTS) was formed in 1989. Thiru Muruga Kripananda Variar inaugurated our first ever meeting on May 20, 1989 at Rutger’s University. What initially began as a small gathering of friends, today NJTS boasts over six hundred area families participating in various activities throughout the year.
The primary mission of NJTS is to:
- Provide a unified forum for Tamils in this area: New Jersey has one of the largest concentrations of Tamils in the United States. NJTS aims to provide a platform to facilitate interaction among the area tamils.
- Promote Tamil culture: ‘Kal thonRi maN thonRA kAlam munbe mun thonRi muththa kudiyil piranthavan Thamizan’. Tamil culture is unique in many respects. NJTS strives to promote and preserve Tamil culture
- Celebrate Tamil festivals: To celebrate festivals such as Pongal and Deepavali every year
- Organize special projects in Tamil Nadu: For the development of Tamil Nadu, several NJTS members are involved in various projects such as College Scholarship fund and Charity clubs.
- Promote Tamil scholars and artists: To encourage Tamil Scholars and artists from Tamil Nadu to contribute for the growth of Tamil language.
- Help other Tamils: To help other Tamils in New Jersey and surrounding areas feel at home.
- Actively participate in Federation of Tamil Associations of North America (FeTNA): To foster unity among different tamil sangams and to support FeTNA, NJTS actively participates in the annual FeTNA conference.
- Make Tamil youth aware of our heritage: To educate and encourage Tamil youth to learn, appreciate, and abide by the Tamil culture
Executive Committee (2019)
- Nirmala Sundaram – President
- Balamurali Kothandaraman – Vice President
- Annamalai Sambanthan – Treasurer
- AVR Sridharan – Join Treasurer
- Subha Chellappan – Communications Director